BUDGET BEDROOM RENOVATIONS: Making a place to sleep in our fixxer-upper
The First Renovations
The week after we bought our house in Berlin, I took a week off to start making some livable space. Brad had already used his vacation for the year. ( I wonder if he planned it that way? hmmm). I spent a lot of time cleaning, but the first order of business was creating a place to sleep that would be free of construction debris and most importantly safe to walk around in bare feet! This is where I slept for the first week.
Yes, that really is my “bed”. Obviously, I had some real incentive to get to work! I had already decided that I wanted to start out with two bedrooms, one for us and one for guests, aka anyone that would be willing to sleep in our house and work for free. The very first thing to do was to clear out the furniture left behind in the rooms and clean. I managed to give some of the furniture makeovers and re-use them. See the FOUND FURNTIURE post for before and after pictures of the furniture redos by clicking here.
A few before photos
I made the decision to paint both rooms the same color so that I could get moving. It’s just paint. I can always change the color later if I want, right? I put a couple coats of basic white on the ceilings just to give them a cleaner look.
The floors in these rooms were carpeted in a stained beige with more than a few big wrinkles in the carpet. I envisioned tripping in the middle of the night, falling on my face and having the hospital be one of my first discoveries in the town. So I ripped up the carpet, revealing painted floors, that were not in very good condition, but nothing I couldn’t fix by repainting them. I quickly decided that I wanted the same flooring throughout the second floor to create a more unified look. I lightly sanded the floors, a job I am now realizing that I should have taken a little more seriously because it would look better if I had sanded more vigorously. But, I was keeping in mind that desire to get a room ready for a real bed quickly! A few gallons of grey paint later, I had new floors.
Bedroom Renovations in Progress
This wall color is Benjamin Moore Sailcloth, and it turns out I love it! So, no plans to change it anytime soon. Now the finishing touches. I spray painted the knobs on the closets in a brushed nickel because I couldn’t stand the brass color that they were and because I can rarely resist the opportunity to spray paint anything.
I had also purchased a few, really cheap window shades for the living room while I was sleeping in it. I just moved those up to the bedrooms, moved in some basic furniture and voila, I can sleep in comfort! This was a small step in our renovations, but what a luxury it was to finally sleep in a bed! We even bought a new mattress. Aaah, the little things in life. When we grow up maybe I’ll finish decorating the rooms.
Finally Finished – For Now
Not bad for a tight budget! More importantly, all worker bees have a place to rest their heads!