GREEN ROOM PROGRESS WEEK FOUR: Two Steps Forward and One Step Back
Sometimes in life you need to go backward before you can move forward. This was one those weekends! This was the weekend to blow insulation into the exterior walls of our house. This meant cutting A LOT of holes in our walls. We had the option of cutting the holes on the exterior of the house, but we currently have fragile asbestos shingles on the exterior and we didn’t want to go down that road.
In the Green Room, this wasn’t too horrible because we needed to patch those walls anyway, but in other rooms we weren’t quite as lucky. It was much more difficult to put holes in the walls that we had already patched and painted. To make it worse, Brad had this great idea to take one large, easy to patch, strip off the walls. Thinking that since we have balloon construction (the cavities between the studs run all the way to the bottom of the house), we figured one opening at the top of the wall would allow us to blow all the way down through the first floor walls, with a few exceptions under the windows. These are the kinds of things you think when you have never done something before. Lucky for us, our daughter, Katie’s, boyfriend does this for a living and he set us straight before we did this on every wall! I would like to say
that he also came over and helped us, but in reality he came over and we helped him. Without him, I think we would have been insulating until the Fourth of July!
Getting It Done
We got a system going where, Brad drilled the holes in the wall, John filled the walls, I kept the machine filled with insulation and Katie got the lucky job of cleaning up each room as it was finished. It was a long day, ending at close to 9pm, but it did get done in one day! Thank you Katie and John! And if that weren’t enough, John crawled into our crawlspace and sealed off the
bottoms of the wall openings and he insulated the ducts that vent our bathroom exhaust fans. I am looking forward to seeing the savings on our gas and electric bills!
As is usual when working on our house, some discoveries were made. In our walls, Katie found a shoe and Brad an empty bottle. The reason for our lack of square angles in the house could be getting clearer.
I am not looking forward to patching and repainting all those walls, but I am very happy to report that only one wall on the first wall had to be drilled, so we have the repairs mostly confined to the second floor that we hadn’t done too much work on already. And I am beyond happy to have the insulating job behind us! Since we got it all done in one day and it was so beautiful on Sunday, we took a play day. After as nice walk in Assateague, all was right with the world again.
Just for giggles: