OUR LATEST PROJECT: A New Coffee Table
Sometimes the stars align and things work out in a way that you just know was meant to be. If you followed our build of the stereo cabinet, you are well aware that it’s new home is a tiny living room and by tiny, I mean about 9ft by 9ft. This is the living room of our son, Ryan who lives in Brooklyn.
When we delivered the stereo cabinet, it really hit home just how tight the space is, so we offered to make a coffee table out of left over wood from the cabinet. The existing coffee table was about 20″ wide and left just enough room to slide sideways around it and get to the furniture.
I should also share that this table will have to double as the dining table, as there is no great space in the kitchen for eating. Challenge on!
This is my favorite part of a project….dreaming up the possibilities. Here is what I had to take into consideration: the limited space available, the amount of wood we had left and a style that we go well with the stereo cabinet. The style wasn’t a problem as the cabinet has a mid-century style, which is one of my favorites.
After a few sketches, I decided on a table with a surf board inspired shape, thus creating a long, but narrow footprint for the table. I added a box under the table top and some splayed legs to complete the mid century look. Here’s how it all came together:
First Brad glued up some wood, so we had a piece wide enough for the top of the table. While he did this I was at work sketching the shape I wanted onto a piece of 1/4 inch plywood to use as a template.
Brad traced the template and cut the top on the band saw. Then, as you will do often with wood projects….some sanding.
Next we started on making the box to go under the tabletop.
When it came to the legs, we had a little problem. I wanted round, tapered legs and the lathe died….beyond repair.
We could have cut square legs and rounded over the edges with the router and gotten almost round legs, but I was determined to have round legs. Now I had an excuse to head to one of my favorite places, Jayne’s Reliable in Dagsboro. Jayne’s has antiques, some refinished , some not and (this is the part that gets me excited) architectural salvage. I was hoping to find something at Jayne’s that I could use for the legs. What I found were old stair spindles. The spindles themselves were not as plain as I wanted but they had a section in the middle that would be perfect, so I bought 4 spindles.
We cut the spindles and I sanded them up, so now they are legs. We bought some hardware online that made it nice and simple to mount attach the legs at an angle.
Lots of sanding later, the table was assembled.
Finally, we dyed the wood with alcohol dye and put a clear coat of polyurethane on it so that it would match the stereo cabinet. (Click on photos for full image.)
I love this little table. It just makes me happy. All it needs now is to make the trip to its new home. This project was so much fun and the results were quick. But my next project in maple is going to get nothing more than a clear coat for finish because I love the look of the unfinished grain! Maybe that project will be for me.