THE GREEN ROOM PROGRESS: Week 2
Weekend #2 of renovations turned out to be a very dirty one! The problems started when I had an idea, ok, I had two ideas. Brad always cringes when I have ideas!
My first idea was to put horizontal wood planks or maybe bead board on one of the walls to give the room a more cottagey feel. So Brad reluctantly put aside his plans to patch the plaster and listen to my plan. He wasn’t crazy about the plan, but I sweet talked him into it. This meant pulling down the plaster that was on the wall so that our wood would not make the wall hang over the trim, which would decidedly be a bad look! We took the plaster down to the lath and could easily see that the wall had no insulation, so down came the lath so that we could put up insulation.
My second idea involved the ceiling which was textured and ugly! We tried scraping off the texture, which only tore up the drywall that it was applied to. This meant the only way to get rid of the textured ceiling was to pull down the drywall and replace it. Down came the crown molding and drywall, only to reveal that many of the furring strips were not properly attached and large pieces of the original plaster ceiling came tumbling down. Now I could see just how much higher the ceiling could be if we pulled the rest of the plaster of and put up new drywall. You guessed it. We pulled down the rest of the plaster, which was pretty loose anyway.
Another advantage of pulling down the ceiling is that now we could easily check the exterior walls of the room for insulation. I’ll bet you guessed again. There is no insulation in our exterior walls. This project is quickly giving birth to a new project….insulating the exterior walls of the whole house. I’ll keep you posted on that one. Meanwhile, we ended the weekend with lots of debris to be hauled down the steps, to the truck and to the dump!
This was all a day’s work. On Sunday, I got distracted by the Nautical and Wildlife Craft Show at the Ocean City Convention Center. It was a good show too. Look what I ended up with.
Next, I need to figure out what I am going to use to replace the wall that is now gone, we can put the ceiling back up and start patching the other walls. Stay tuned. I think this room is going to be my favorite when we are done. It already is sunny and cheerful and far less green.